Work-life balance is a sticky subject among many people. We have careers, partners, children, family commitments, charity work, classes, hobbies, worship time — plus big desires to improve our health. How can we possibly balance so many things?
I’m going to let you in on a little secret. You can’t.
“Harmony” is an easier goal than balance.
Harmony means everything is co-existing in a spirit of cooperation. But whatever you want to call it – harmony, balance, or “fitting it all in” – there is a secret to doing more of what you want and less of what you don’t want.
I just need to warn you that although the equation sounds simple, it actually takes willpower to execute it. It also requires you to get absolutely clear on what you want your life to look like, and what you do not want in your life.
Ready? Here’s the secret:
- First ask yourself what isn’t serving you. What doesn’t need to be in your life? What is dragging you down? What is keeping you awake at night?
- Have you identified a few things? Now get rid of them. [Or fix them. NOW]
- Next, ask yourself what you want in your life – or in this week or in this day. What do you want to accomplish?
- Learn to let go of or say NO to anything that doesn’t fit into this larger scheme.
- What do you want to do? Who do you want to be with? Focus your energy on these things.
Are you ready to dive in and make a few changes? Give these tips a try and see how much more harmonious your life can be.